Monday, March 24, 2008

Selling Sustainability

For the past two years, media attention around companies "going green" has mounted to a crescendo. Are we finally reaching the long-awaited critical mass?

Not even close. The scientific case for climate change may be sealed but the majority of business leaders are still suspicious of sustainability. The source of their inertia may surprise you. Their primary concern isn't "Why should I?" as much as "How do I?" In my experience, the real issue lies in the question they are often afraid to ask: "How do I sell sustainability?"

Let's begin with an example of how not to sell it. I was invited by a local mayor to deliver a speech on the U.S. Mayor's Climate Protection Agreement to his town council. More than 700 mayors in 50 states have now signed the agreement, making it one of the most significant grassroots movements to reduce emissions in the U.S. I was sure the town would sign it. The mayor even drives a hybrid Lexus. When I arrived at the town council meeting, I immediately sensed that people saw me as a pot-stirring outsider. One council member even went on record to oppose my speech before I began. The mayor became strangely silent. Not only did the town refuse to sign the agreement, several people followed me into the parking lot trying to convince me that climate change isn't real.

http://www.greenbiz.com/news/columns_third.cfm?NewsID=36639

No comments: